On January 27th 2017 John Hurt passed away. My first memory of the actor is from the fantasy series Harry Potter. Hurt played Garrick Ollivander in the series, the wand maker with a shop in Diagon Alley. Hearing about his death made my heart hurt, but he is up there with Alan Rickman (Severous Snape) and Richard Harris (Dumbledore from movies 1 & 2). This made me think about the series that I love, and reminisce on some of the most magical moments in the books and movies. I have read the series multiple times and I can’t count how many times I’ve seen the movies. I love this series so much that my first tattoo was in fact a Harry Potter reference, and no I don’t regret it, it will still look amazing when I’m 80 years old.
I decided that it was only fitting that I look back on some of my favorite Harry Potter moments this week. So in honor of John Hurt, Alan Rickman and Richard Harris, here we go. By the way if you haven’t read the books or watched the movies you might want to click away now, but make sure to come back Wednesday for a new photo!
- Ron drinking love potion in the Half Blood Prince. Ron drinks a love potion that was meant for Harry and gets put into a dream like state. He can’t focus on anything but going to go see the girl. He can’t stop smiling and acts very much like a cartoon. Harry rushes him to Professor Slughorn to get help. This is one of my favorite moments purely for how light-hearted it is. I can’t help but think J.K. Rowling put these little bits of comedy in just to give our hearts a break before she killed everyone.
- Hermione punching Draco Malfoy square in the face in the Prisoner of Azkaban. Malfoy was in the midst of making fun of Hagrid and Buckbeek (the magical creature). Hermione has had it as this point and threatens to curse Malfoy. She lowers her wand, Draco laughs, she turns around and nails him. I remember watching that at the young age of 11 or 12 and mentally putting that on my bucket list. I still haven’t fulfilled that yet, any takers?
- Dobby is a free elf. In the Chamber of Secrets Harry Potter “befriends” a house elf named Dobby after barely missing death because of him. At the end it is shown that Dobby belongs to Lucious Malfoy. Harry slips a sock into Tom Riddles diary and hands it to Lucious. Lucious then gives it to Dobby, thus presenting clothes to his house elf, freeing him.
- By the way I am very upset that they didn’t include the Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare (S.P.E.W.) that Hermione created in the books.
- 7 Harry Potters in one room. When Fred, George, Hermione, Ron, Fluer Delacour, Remus Lupin, Tonks, Kindlsey and Mundungus Fletcher all take polyjuice potion to impersonate Harry as diversions to get Harry out when he turned of age. During this George had his ear cursed off and we experienced what we now know was just the first two deaths of this book and 2 part finale. Hedwig, Harry’s owl and Mad Eye Moody were lost that night. Only a few short pages into the last book, thanks J.K Rowling.
- “ No! Fred! No!” And Percy was shaking his brother, and Ron was kneeling beside them, and Fred’s eyes stared without seeing, the ghost of his last laugh still etched upon his face.” This is not a favorite moment by far, Fred was one of my favorite characters. The way this was written is what I love about it. “…the ghost of his last laugh still etched upon his face” hits me in the gut every time I read those sentences. That is when you know something is great.
- When Harry takes the Felix Felicis. This is a potion that is bottled good fortune. The way Harry acts when this is in his system is hilarious. He is quirky, but kind of spacey. He goes on a little adventure ending up in the right place at the right time.
- “After all this time..?” Dumbledore asked. “Always…” Snape replied. This takes place in the Deathly Hallows when Harry experiences Snapes memories in Dumbledores office during the battle. It shows him Snapes true motives, which were pure all along. Snape was acting out of love for Harry’s mother Lilly. Snape shows Dumbledore that his partonus changed into a doe, for Lilly. Snape was a double agent the entire time, vowing to protect Harry no matter what it took. It took his life, but in those last moments he gave Harry a vile of his tears that contained memories. In this Harry also learned that he has to sacrifice himself to the Dark Lord, he has to die.
Harry Potter followed me through out my tween and teen age years. I went to see every movie and re-read the books multiple times. What I truly love about this series is that every time I read the books I find something new. Every time I see the movies I’m filled with the same magically feeling I had the first time I saw them. Every time I see or read the scenes of my favorite characters passing away my heart fills with sorrow, even though I know it’s comming. I think that is why the passing of the actors that played these characters hurts so much. I’ve been through the passing of the characters, over and over again. When Snape dies in the 7th book and showed his path with Dumbledore and Lilly my heart shattered. While reading the list of names that died in the last battle tears filled my eyes. I wish the best for the families that are left behind of these amazing men, and I will be devastated when more join them.
I’m not a wizard, Harry,
Richard Harris: October 1, 1930 – October 25, 2002.
Alan Rickman: February 21, 1946 – January 14, 2016.
John Hurt: January 22, 1940 – January 27, 2017.